Norwegian Cruise Line Shuts Down Fleet After Corona Outbreak
The Norwegian shipping company Hurtigruten has taken its expedition cruise ships out of service until further notice after one of them was diagnosed with an outbreak of the coronavirus.
At least 41 passengers and crew members, including many Filipino employees, of the MS Roald Amundsen, have tested positive.
Hundreds of others have been asked to remain in quarantine for the next ten days.
“An initial evaluation points to several flaws in our internal procedures,” CEO Daniel Skjeldam said on Monday.
“Our own negligence, as well as the recent increase in international infections, has made us decide to end all expedition cruises in Norwegian and international waters.”
The Norwegian police will investigate whether any laws have been broken. “We have found reasons to open a case,” said a spokesperson.
The government announced on Monday that contact had been made with health authorities in Denmark, Germany and Austria, among others, regarding the corona outbreak on the Hurtigruten ship.