No Criminal Investigation into BBC Interview Princess Diana
There will be no criminal investigation into a famous BBC interview with Princess Diana from 1995.
The police announced this after Diana’s brother had fiercely criticized the journalist who interviewed her at the time last year. Interviewer Martin Bashir is said to have used forged documents to get the princess on camera.
The interview caused a lot of commotion at the time. More than 22 million people watched Diana elaborate on her troubled marriage to Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth’s son and heir to the throne. Among other things, she famously stated that there were “three people” in her marriage. She was referring to herself, Charles and his mistress Camilla Parker-Bowles.
Journalist Bashir was later accused of using deceptive methods to arrange the interview. According to Diana’s brother Charles Spencer, he would have created the impression with false documents that royal family personnel leaked information about the princess to the security services fee.
The BBC announced its own investigation into the interview last November. The broadcaster engaged a retired judge to direct this. Diana’s oldest son, William, called this “a step in the right direction.”
Bashir now seems to have no longer to fear criminal prosecution. Police chief Alex Murray said on Thursday that specialists have looked into the case. “We have now determined that it is inappropriate to initiate a criminal investigation into these allegations. No further action is being taken.”